People with an acquired brain injury are more likely to suffer from mental health problems compared to the general population. This workshop will provide an overview of brain injury and explore the complexities of providing care to clients with multiple disabilities.
The facilitators are from the Community Brain Disorders Assessment and Treatment Service (CBDATS). The team's focus is primarily on clients who suffer severe cognitive and psychiatric disability and associated clinical and systemic complexity.
At the end of this workshop, participants will have an understanding of:
• Causes and effects of brain injury
• Common presentations of mental illness in clients with ABI
• Approaches to working with clients with dual diagnoses
• Introduction to behaviour support in ABI
• Navigating the system (overview of ABI/disability services)
The workshop will involve a combination of case studies, video resources and group exercises.